Seventeen students completed the MATC program during the 2015-16 academic year, and 14 returned to campus for the ceremony, which featured an address by longtime political journalist Cokie Roberts. The celebration began with a lunch reception for graduates and their families in Carroll Hall, home of the MJ-school.
During the ceremony, Susan King, dean of the MJ-school, recognized Sarah Lamm as the program’s outstanding graduate. Lamm’s peers also selected her as the winner of the Joy R. Gibson Cohort Award.
In the three academic years since starting the program, 13 members of the graduating class of working professionals have advanced to new jobs or earned promotions. They have also navigated personal and family commitments while completing their studies. Cohort members became parents to six new babies during the program, and four of the students got married.
For several students, Saturday’s ceremony marked a return to commencement at Carolina. Four graduates earned UNC-Chapel Hill undergraduate degrees, and three began graduate study in the Certificate in Technology and Communication program. The cohort previously came to campus for orientation in August 2013 and a weeklong residency in May 2014.
The MATC graduating cohort of 2015-16 includes communication professionals living across North Carolina and in four other states. They are:
- Jennifer Bailey, corporate communications (former) at Nestle USA
- Amy Brock, lead marketing at Corning
- Corey Broman-Fulks, assistant director of video at Emory University
- Crystal Chapman, communications manager at UNC-Wilmington
- Miranda Dotson, news producer at WRAL-TV
- Patricia Harrison, communications specialist at the Accreditation Council for Continuing Medical Education
- Casey Hart, marketing and instructional design coordinator at the UNC School of Media and Journalism
- Quanta Holden, web and communication specialist at the Duke University English Department
- Steven Jamroz, strategic marketing consultant at Jamroz Creative
- Andrew Joyner, senior manager for insights and analytics at Wasserman Media Group
- Sarah Lamm, group account director at CRISP Agency
- Zack Rearick, communications and political manager at the Pennsylvania Association of Staff Nurses and Allied Professionals
- John Roberts, creative director and founder of Creative Est.
- Randall Roberts, director of development at the University of Nebraska Foundation
- Marybeth Sandell, lecturer at UNC-Pembroke
- Kristin Saunders, application producer at Wells Fargo
- Alex Waterworth, web designer/developer at Appalachian State University